Smokestack Coffee Company is a worldwide company, which CEO has decided to ruin. He’s dropping the coffee quality and rising prices so he can earn the most money before going bankrupt. Customers at coffee shops are really angry about that and complaining big for the poor coffee quality. After this story, the objective of the players supposedly is to save the company giving the customers a better service and coffee.
Coffee Rush turns you into a coffee house waiter/waitress serving angry customers as soon as you can. The better and faster you serve them, the bigger tips you get and the more money you earn. Each level has a money goal you have to reach in order to pass the next level. The special thing about this game is that it combines an arcade game (player being a waiter and serving customers) with a puzzle game (creating 3-in-a-row matches on a board) How is that? The thing is that you prepare the customers orders by collecting the required ingredients from a board. Every time you make a match, the ingredients involved are collected to prepare the order. When you get all the ingredients you need for an order, the order is delivered to the client. If you don’t hurry, customers will run out of patience and they will leave or won’t tip you well.
The customers always have to pay the price of the order, but big money is made when you get big tips. You can supersize and add combos to the orders to get more tips. Also you can maximize customers patience. You can access some game upgrades by earning coffee coins. To earn those coins you have to match 5 or more ingredients in a single match, or exceed the day’s goal.
There are several different customer types to know:
- Police Officer: low tips and low patience.
- Nurse: better tips but still low patience.
- Drill Instructor: higher tips but low patience.
- Blushing bride: high patience and good tips.
- Hippie: pretty good patience and good tips.
- Soccer mom: high patience and good tips.
- Among others.
There are special bonus pieces to take into account:
- Lollipop: it appear after every 60 pieces matched and adds 25% to the patience meter of your most angry customer.
- Ice Cream: it appear after every 150 pieces matched and adds 25% to the patience meter of your most angry customer.
- Among others.
When you enter the game, you’ll see the welcome screen with the following options:
- Change Player: the first time there’s no existing player. After you create one or more, they’ll be saved. When you enter into this submenu, you’ll be asked for a name as a new player. It’s possible to have a list of different players and record their performance. This way, you can play home tournaments with family and friends.
- Play: this option leads you to a submenu from which you can select the skill level, among: Espresso, Double Espresso, and Quadruple Espresso. It will show the introduction of the game and eventually you’ll be playing the first level of the game . You’ll be seeing some on-screen tips as you play the first time.
- Options: this is the menu from which you can set some game options like: sound effects volume, vision quality (low, medium, high), game tips (on/off), and full screen (on/off).
- Help: this option leads you to a submenu with three sections: Special Pieces, Customers and Strategy, each of which shows help information.
- High Scores and Exit: no further explanation required.
Once you are playing, you can press the PAUSE button on the screen to pause the game, go to the options menu, resume play, access help information, or go back to the main menu.
You can try this game for 60 minutes before you buy the licensed version. If you like it, you can buy this game for only 19.95 dollars, right from the Oberon Media Game Center, on the Web.
About the systems requirements, here you have a list to check out:
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista
- Processor: Pentium III 800 MHz
- DirectX 9
- 128 MB RAM
- Free hard drive space: 40 MB
- 32MB Video Card w/ DirectX
- Sound Card
- Easy to learn how to play guided by the tutorial.
- Affordable price.
- It combines an arcade game with a puzzle game.
- It’s available only in English
- It’s not a multiplayer game.
- Use on network is not supported.